I Want To Ask For More Child Support.  When Can I Do That?

Answer:  Absent an agreement between the parents, child support can only be changed in two scenarios.  First, it can be increased or decreased if a parent can prove that: (1) there has been a material and substantial change in circumstances; and (2) a change is in the child’s best interest.  Second, it can be increased or decreased if it has been 3 years or more since the last child support order was entered and the amount that would be due after that 3+ year period would different by the lesser of $100.00 per month or 20% per month.  There are numerous factors that a Court looks at when deciding whether to modify child support, so make sure you consult with an attorney regarding your particular set of circumstances.

Lewis, Passons & Darnell, P.C.

Contact Our Office

Full Name(Required)
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.